Madison is home to more than 60 miles of bicycle paths. It’s no wonder Madison is often voted one of the best bicycle cities in the country!
With the spring weather arriving, these bikes paths will be full of bikers, walkers, joggers, rollerbladers, dogwalkers and strollers. Here are a few things to keep in mind to keep all users safe on the Madison bike paths:
- Please keep to the right side of the path, except to pass.
- When traveling side-by-side, stay on the right half of the path.
- I know you want to go fast, but please yield to slower users.
- As for that fast part, not too fast! Always travel at a safe speed, with respect for others users. Faster users may want to consider alternate routes to ensure the safety of all users.
- Pass others on the left by slowing down, giving an audible warning such as ringing a bell or calling out, “passing on the left”, and waiting for a reaction before passing.
- When stopping, please move off the path so as not to impede others.
- Be careful when crossing streets and driveways. Watch for traffic and make sure other drivers are aware of the path and your presence.
Happy biking, walking, running!